Celebrating the History of Ernabella Mission
Between the 24-28 March 2010, the Pukatja Community in South Australia hosted five days of festivities to not only celebrate the history of the Ernabella Mission but also to rededicate the Ernabella Uniting Church Building.
On Saturday 27 March 2010 the Aṉangu and other families from many different communities came together for the official re-opening of the Ernabella Uniting Church Building. Also attending the celebrations were members from a number of Uniting Church congregations within the community and the restoration of the church building.
Other activities held over the five day period of celebrations included three Bible Studies led by the President of the Uniting Church in Australia, Rev Alistair Macrae, and a sharing of the history of Ernabella Mission with displays of photos, music and film.
The Program of Events provides a timeline of the history of the Ernabella Mission since its inception in 1937 as a Presbyterian Mission, the official opening of the church building in 1952, the development of Indigenous ministry at the community, through to the implementation of the restoration and refurbishment of the building and its rededication on 27 March 2010.
Special mention is made of the support and assistance provided by the Australian Government, the Traditional Owners of the Uluru-KataTjuta National Park, the Church of Scotland, the John Flynn Uniting Church, Alice Springs and Jesuku walytja kutjupa tjuta.
Click on the thumbnail images below to view photos of this special occasion for the members of the Pukatja community.