As part of the Uniting Church in Australia the mission of the Northern Synod is to proclaim, promote and live out the reign of God revealed in Jesus Christ under the direction of the Holy Spirit, transforming people and communities in which God calls us to worship, witness and serve.
To achieve our mission, we commit to following Jesus, living together and going forward together in the love of Christ.
We hold these values in common:
- We respect the different cultural and linguistic backgrounds from which we come.
- We recognise the importance and value the scriptures being translated in the languages of the people in our Synod.
- We listen to and seek to understand the diverse perspectives on the Good News of Jesus Christ and its meaning for us.
- We recognise that all lands within the bounds of the Synod were traditionally owned by indigenous people.
- As Indigenous and non-Indigenous people, we live together in a Covenant relationship.
- Any person in contact with any aspect of our worship, witness and service is entitled to feel and to be physically and emotionally safe.
- We relate to other churches in our communities and neighbouring regions as partners in the worship, witness and service of Christ and seek ways to work together with them.
- Although people of other faiths differ in their understanding of God’s work in human history, we respect their beliefs and seek to be in dialogue with them as to our understandings of God and God’s work in the world.
- We recognize that all people have God-given gifts and we encourage them to use them.
- God is the creator of all things seen and unseen.
- God is revealed in some way through all cultures.
- God is fully and uniquely revealed in the person of Jesus the Christ.
- Jesus came that all people might have life in all its fullness.
- All people have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
- The Holy Spirit is God’s agent of creation, conviction of sin and renewal into new life.
- No person is excluded from the love of God.
- The church is the community of all who look to Jesus Christ for meaning and purpose in their lives.
- The church is called (see Basis of Union) to witness to and work towards the transformation of all people into the likeness of Christ.
- God has equally created and called women and men to participate fully in the life of the church and the community according to the gifts and abilities that God gives to each.